Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Teaching My Boyfriend To Swing

What a fantastic title for a blog entry.

But I really am not making this up. Beloved and I have just been rehearsing together for our gig tomorrow night at Volupte, that most louche of after-dark hangouts, and our swing version of Sweet Dreams hit a glitsch when Beloved noticed how close to the White Stripes' 7 Nation Army our Sweet Dreams bassline was (really - there's only one note difference. Check it out for yourself). Once he'd noticed this, he couldn't get the White Stripes song out of his head, and this had the effect of knocking all the swing out Sweet Dreams and sending him off into a rock-out frenzy.

I cured him by force-feeding him Paul Anka's swing versions of Wonderwall, True, and Eye of the Tiger. No one can resist Mr Anka's swing for long, even if listening on a loop can bring on an effect that is the musical equivalent of having eaten too many ferrerro rochers.

Suffice to say that Beloved is now swinging like crazy.

It's going to be one hell of a night at Volupte tomorrow I can tell you.

I'd better retire for the evening and get my beauty sleep... unless Beloved needs more lessons, that is.

TV

xx

No comments: